Wind, rain, and snow can take a toll on your roof, and it can start leaking. This is why the National Roofing Contractors Associations recommends you to book professional roof inspections each year at the end of the cold season or before it begins, in other words during the spring or fall. Even if a roof repair service is not needed, it is good to know that in advance because it will be times more difficult to fix roof leaks when the weather is bad.
How to detect roof leaks?
Here is what a reliable roofer will look at during an annual inspection for leaks and damage:
- Lots of loose shingle granules. They look like sand grains and are a sign of advanced wear.
- Loose material or wear around pipes, vents, chimneys, and other visible penetrations.
- Torn, bald, cracked or missing rooftop shingles (no matter their type and the material they are made of).
- Signs of moisture like mold and rot. These problems usually appear when water pools at the lowest part of your roof.
- Gutters, downspouts, and other parts of the roof drainage system are not securely attached.
During the annual roof inspection your attic also has to be inspected for:
- Sagging spots in the roof deck.
- Signs of water damage.
- Dark spots or trails.
- Sunlight coming from the roof. (This problem is quite common on shake roofs)
Detecting a roof leak as soon as possible after it appeared is of crucial importance. Mold and bacteria can start growing in areas with high levels of moisture within 24 hours. These fungal hazards can be very dangerous for all of the people inhabiting the building, especially kids because they do not have a well-developed immune system.
Even if you only have doubts that your roof is leaking, hurry up to contact a roof repair service specialist. Those of you who are located in the area of Tallahassee, FL can take advantage of the expert roof inspection and maintenance services which Folsom Roofing offers. In order to check whether we have available specialists in your area, contact our local office at (850) 290-7416!